Wednesday 27 February 2013

The Female Complex Perks



Right. So.

I'm a bit late in posting.

Totally did that on purpose. 

My shoe fell off today..

I really believe feet get smaller at some point...

Line number 3 was a lie.

Dear Life: Can't quite believe I have people from over 15 countries reading my blog... and I've covered all the continents... wow.. Thanks everyone :)

So... Recap: I was brought back to Sudan. Cried about it. Got over it. Got on with it. Then wrote about it.
What happens now?

As many graduates from non-medical fields would tell you... after the hype of graduation...we get a dose of what I like to call the 'graduate blues'

Goes a bit like this: 

Why the hell did I waste all that money at Uni?! I didn't even need this..  This was the wrong degree! what the hell..  I need to do a masters...there are NO jobs... I need to do a diploma... What do I want to do with my life?? This is too much! I don't even know if I want these jobs I'm being rejected for anyway! I'm so sad.. I'm so happy! Everything is great... Omg everything sucks.. I don't know how I feel...*Cries*

Then there's those random dumb moments where you rose tint the most horrible memories to make them seem like they were so amazing, like your ex.. and how 'happy' you were.. breaking up was a mistake (even though it completely wasn't)... and how school was so care free back in the day.. (even though you probably didn't like it when you were there) 

I remember actually wanting a child at some point.. then I decided a cat would be better LOL

It's kind of like a bi-polar love-hate relationship where you like yourself for being a free spirit and not wanting to be tied down by some kind of soul draining occupation... but also feeling like you are entirely useless because you should have a job. A good graduate job.

 In Sudan there is less pressure on women. They don't have to have a job... They have a choice - you want to work - cool, you don't, don't worry! Someone will come and marry you anyway. He will take care of your finances and you will take care of the domestics. So they tend to either work any job until they get married, or just hang out until they get married... <- don't get me wrong, a lot of women work serious jobs, it's just not expected of them. 

At my particular job I am the only female. It's kind of nice... there is definitely discrimination - but not in the way you would expect  - Being female kind of means everyone feels the need to 'take care' of you... At first this used to infuriate me.. I took it as them genuinely believing that I was in some way intellectually inferior. Then I realized... Yes... they do think that... but ... I know I'm not... and frankly I'm getting a lot of annoying jobs done on my behalf... so... works for me...

For example there is the 'pay' complex, where because your female, they have to pay for all of your food when you eat out.. (tbh I couldn't deal with this one, felt a bit bad, so I taught them the English style) But it's a positive nonetheless! Then there is the never having to deal with anything that requires patience/ effort.. eg: Never having to wait in line for anything... never being yelled at even if you mess everything up...

A key difference is that in England men and women are treated the same. In Sudan, men and women are assigned different roles, and treated accordingly. It's interesting to say the least... and I'm loving the perks.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment