Friday 24 July 2015

Updates and some thoughts about Game of Thrones ...

Hey blogger

I’ve been doing so much lately that I almost forgot about our special ‘Friday’ relationship. Honestly I think I’ve just been overwhelmed with life and sadly, you have often been placed at the bottom of my to-do piles.

Lets see, as a quick recap

I left my old job, and decided to peruse my own online ventures instead which are growing very slowly, but steadily.

At one point I thought about giving up because people were not responding the way I thought they would, but then by chance while I was sieving through some research to find out more about inspiring youth from impoverished backgrounds, I came across a talk by Elizabeth Gilbert. She is the author of the book ‘Eat, Pray, Love’

Her talk was definitely a life changer for me. She talked about the importance of doing what you love, because you love it. “Find what you love, and build your home on top of it.” She explained the fear of failing to outdo yourself and why this should not be the driving force in you. I will embed the talk into this post as I think many others can benefit from it.


I also decided to catch up with Game of Thrones (after my news feed was literally mourning the death of a fictional character I knew nothing about) for days on end… I won’t say his/her name just in case anyone still hasn't watched it.

I can safely say, I get ‘the hype’. I think it's the realities portrayed in the series that I like, there is good and evil in all people and it highlights that the way we act is more situational than anything else.  Human hierarchies are depicted within races in terms of class – which subject people of the same race and gender to torment by others who are like them in all ways except in birth rank, highlighting that superiority is a complex fed by invented beliefs that feed on the pseudo-existent ideologies of separatism – which essentially crave power.  In order for you to be great, someone has to be beneath you.

The program is famous for its nudity, I heard more about its nudity than any other aspect of it before I began to watch the series – but unlike other programs where nudity serves simply as a means to give the viewer a fly on the wall view of the sexual relations of others – Game of Thrones uses nudity in a much more explicit way which gives it the illusion of reality – scenes where rape is shown, where prostitutes are taught the art of faking pleasure – almost like a window into the behind the scenes of life. One of the characters who was controlled and given away by her brother in his quest for power to be raped within a marriage goes on to become a queen, with morals and standards – she is not broken by the rape and although she controversially falls in love with her rapist, she is depicted as a woman of strength – not the vulnerable withdrawn girl who can no longer live and is always looking over her shoulder we think of when we hear about rape victims. Another character who is a prostitute is also depicted as a woman of pride when she falls in love – she becomes loyal, a word hardly ever attributed to women who peruse such careers.


There is also the idea of god, the gods and the one true god whom everyone seems to think they have found. Anyway this is turning into an analysis more than an update but it’s an interesting program that is causing a major sweep in pop culture – I would recommend it.

So… What else?

Well right now I’m waiting for my video to upload onto my YouTube channel and due to the internet connection it first said it would take 9 hours (this is a 6 min clip) and then it crashed… so I have restarted the upload… it should probably take less now that we are in the hours of the AM.

The video discusses racism and sexism in technology - as in, by cameras and computer software, can technology be racist?

I have quite a lot to talk about this week, so I will be posting tomorrow too.

Apologies, again, for the inconsistency – and thank you for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment