Tuesday 22 January 2013

Welcome To My Blog.

We Need To Talk About Life.

Although usually a private and reserved individual, I have decided that perhaps one day, I may look back and think I did nothing with my life. So I've decided to blog it.

Dear Life: If you do not begin to take me seriously. I will stop taking you seriously. I am, deadly serious. Pun intended.

Little Background:

Born in Saudi Arabia, Ethnically Sudanese, Raised from very early on in the United Kingdom; - in a very small town, where no other races existed however unlike most other stories where people talk about their horrible experiences being the only family from some 'other' race - I didn't feel that way at all... in fact, I felt like race didn't matter, and I grew to not notice other peoples colors or religious beliefs because to be honest... Its just really silly to...

Anyway, so I grew up, and went to University in London. First year was about making as many friends as possible. Second years was about fixing the damage from first year and getting as much work experience as possible (Media, I worked on several television channels, Three in all) and Third year was about writing up the best research possible and really discussing (with myself) serious job prospects for the future. I decided that I would go to Sudan (which i visit every 2 years), work there for six months and then return to London to work with my new advantage of some kind of 'exotic' experience.

And that was that.

Then. One day. I was trotting happily in London, thinking about whether to eat at Camden Town or just go to the chicken shop... when i received a phone call.

'Hi Dad!' I beamed. Waiting for the long Sudanese greetings to finish (how are you, how is everything, hope you're well, how are my siblings, how is global warming, this greeting never ends... etc) so I could tell him what I did and where I went and how everything was and what I'm eating and how much I hate my research.

'I've decided to move to Sudan. For good. This time I'm serious, I'm handing in my resignation form this week and we leave in September. I need you to find out when your graduation is so that I can make sure to book our flight right after.'

Deadpan. Shock. Horror.

I always knew this day would come. But I didn't realize this day was coming.

It Came.

TBC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment