Friday 11 July 2014

Period vs Ramadan

‘This is absolutely ridiculous! Ha!

It will never happen to me. Nope. Never. These people are overly conservative. I couldn't care less’.

She said. To herself - Once upon a time when it was just a 'story'.

If you're wondering where that passage came from - it was my response during a conversation with a traditional Sudanese cousin of mine, when she tried to explain to me that women who eat in front of men during Ramadan are really rude.
 

During the menstrual cycle, women are not allowed to fast during Ramadan - they must eat, and they must then re-fast after the month is over to make up for the days they didn't fast. Women also do not pray during their menstrual cycle but they do not have to make up the prayers - just the fasts.

This is a well known fact to all Muslims. Women are commanded NOT to fast.

I repeat. Not to fast.

Yet there is a social convention that prevents them from eating in public places... I'm sorry let me re-phrase that - women are expected to become FBI food agents during their cycles.

It's rude to eat during Ramadan in front of a man. And this is not something only present in Sudanese culture - its everywhere - any Muslim country has the same taboo, which is bizarre because it is directly hypocritical to the religious teachings they are supposed to practice.

 As you can imagine, I found this absolutely ridiculous, I mean seriously, if I have to make up these days I'm definitely going to at least enjoy them now. After much head scratching and weighing out my options of how not to offend people vs not compromising my own morals, I decided that this was really silly and I would eat.

 Then... a colleague of mine, who was also not fasting decided to go to the Supermarket

Her:  'Hind you get out and get the food! I can't I just cannot!'
Me: Umm... Sure

I decided to go for something light, like a chocolate bar and a drink, basically snacks - the lady at the till was eyeing me suspiciously, and everyone was peeking... at the time I didn't understand why because they too were food shopping – but I later realized that my shopping was the only shopping that looked like ‘right now’ food. When I got back to my car I took out the food to my friend’s utter horror

Her: 'NOOO!!! Not here!!!! Let’s park somewhere remote where no one can see us!!!
Me: Err OK...

So I literally drove to a corner within a corner before she was comfortable enough to eat. After we finished the snacks my friend shoved the wrappers in a bag, which she tied in several knots, then into another bag and then placed them underneath a rock near rubble on the side of the road. At this point I was on the verge of crying with laughter but I knew I couldn't because she was so serious about this...

It was when we got back to the office that things took a turn. One of the staff as a joke asked
'Are you fasting? You look too energized today!

And just when I was about to answer my friend jumped in, in a nervously loud shriek

'YES!!! OF COURSE SHE IS!!! WHAT KIND OF A QUESTION IS THAT'.

He eyed us both suspiciously and then left the office at which she let out a massive sigh.

Up until that point I was fine. But now that she had lied on my behalf (out of very good intentions) it meant that I couldn't eat in front of anyone... I started to notice everything like how 'this drink leaves a red mark around the lips or those chips leave a lasting food smell therefore avoid eating those... it was completely ridiculous and annoying but as always I came to a conclusion.  

Even though there are many reasons Muslims can be eating during Ramadan – a women eating in public is the same as a woman holding a banner with ‘I’M ON MY PERIOD’ written on it, in public. 


The culture here is very conservative, therefore it is not perceived as a bold statement, but more as you being rude. I tried the FBI food agent thing but it felt too fake, so as a compromise I decided to just eat in private and not lie whenever I was asked. Eventually I think things will change but for now... FBI food agents - I feel for you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment